Diarrhea Treatment in Magnolia & Vintage Park, TX
While diarrhea can be unpleasant and embarrassing, it is usually not a cause for concern. The loose stools, cramps, and bloating should clear up on their own within a day or two. The most common cause is a viral infection, which is commonly referred to as a stomach bug. Diarrhea can also result from food intolerances, stress, certain medications, or an underlying medical condition, such as irritable bowel syndrome.
When Is Diarrhea Serious?
A short bout of diarrhea is generally nothing to worry about, but a prolonged episode can cause you to become dehydrated as your body loses more fluid than it takes in. What’s more, persistent diarrhea could be caused by a bacterial infection that requires antibiotic treatment. One example is travelers’ diarrhea, a stomach ailment that often affects people who visit developing countries and consume contaminated food or water. In these situations, it’s important to seek medical attention right away.
If you have diarrhea for more than 48 hours—or if you need help coping with a shorter bout of diarrhea that has you constantly running to the restroom—contact or visit Medella Urgent Care in Magnolia or Vintage Park, Texas. Our experienced team of medical providers can determine the cause and suggest an appropriate diarrhea treatment regimen to calm your stomach and harden your stool.
How to Deal With Diarrhea Woes
Some potentially effective strategies for dealing with diarrhea include:
- Staying well-hydrated by drinking plenty of water, electrolyte replacement drinks, and other clear fluids, such as chicken broth and pulp-free fruit juice
- Following the “BRAT” diet, which involves eating only bland, low-fiber foods such as bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast
- Avoiding food-based diarrhea triggers, such as caffeine, dairy products, broccoli, beans, cabbage, fats, fried foods, spices, sugar, and sugar substitutes
- Taking an over-the-counter antidiarrheal medication, such as bismuth subsalicylate or loperamide, if needed
- Avoiding strenuous exercise until you recover
You don’t have to struggle with bothersome diarrhea on your own. Medella Urgent Care is here for you! Our walk-in clinics in Magnolia and Vintage Park, TX, are open every day with extended hours. No appointment necessary—simply stop by for diarrhea treatment whenever it’s most convenient for you. We pride ourselves on our prompt service and short wait times.